Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Day 14: The Struggles of Adding for the Pinay Teacher

    As the 1st graders are learning a new strategy for adding in math, I am also learning this new strategy since I was never taught that way when I was in elementary school. Obviously as an adult, I caught on to the strategy fairly quickly. When I pulled my small group of kids who were really struggling with this new math concept, I thought that the smallness of the group and the less pressured environment would help. It was a struggle bus!! I had one kid who wanted to do it on his own but used the wrong strategy, another kid who kept crying and whining that they can't do it even though they didn't try yet, and another kid who was trying but was overall lost. The other coworkers that were in the room saw how much chaos was going on in the room and were also confused as I am by what was going on. When I checked in with the classroom teacher on how the rest of the kids did, she was also frustrated by how the kids kept asking questions and were struggling too. The problem was the kids were NOT TRYING! They kept asking for help even though there was no work on the paper. I was there for the mini lesson and it was taught very well, so the classroom teacher and I definitely saw the kids were just not trying. I hope tomorrow goes better as we continue to practice this frustrating addition strategy!  

3 comments:

  1. That certainly sounds like a frustrating time for all. Hopefully stepping away and coming back will help all parties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching kids struggle is so frustrating. Lots of think-alouds for trying are another lesson to tack on to this one. Lots of littles want to please their teachers, so maybe they don't want to try because they don't want to fail. I see this with my own child and it's tough because they don't understand you can't help if there's nothing there for you to help with. I hope it gets better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing such chaos and struggle sounds like an unusual outcome; what do you think was the cause? That would go a long way toward helping you help them...tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

Day 31: The Pinay Teacher's ABCs of Spring Break

    I was inspired by many people to do an ABCs of spring break, especially since this is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. I wan...