Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Day 29: The Pinay Teacher Gets a Historical Lesson

    As we continue our travels in Virginia, it was an absolute must to get some kind of history lesson in one of the original 13 colonies. We visited Fredericksburg, the boyhood home of George Washington and also the location of famous battles during the Civil War. As a teacher and a history buff, I always love learning new stories and facts about the United States. There was one point when I was kid that I wanted to be a historian or an anthropologist. It was a very short-lived dream since I did not want to be the one doing the dirty work when it comes to finding things and it seems kind of lonely being in a lab or sitting at a desk all day. I like interacting with people, especially young minds who are eager to learn more since I am always wanting to learn new things.
    Back to my visit in Fredericksburg, we visited the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. I learned about and visited the different battle sites from the Civil War. Some of the houses that were impacted during those battles still had the bullet holes on them! Even part of the stone wall that was used during the battle is still there! It's amazing to me how so much of our history has been preserved for this long. We also visited the Chatham Manor that was visited by many famous figures, such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Clara Barton. It was a beautiful house that had a wonderful view of Downtown Fredericksburg and the Rappahannock River. Sadly, we didn't get to visit more places due to time but I would love to visit Fredericksburg again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 31: The Pinay Teacher's ABCs of Spring Break

    I was inspired by many people to do an ABCs of spring break, especially since this is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. I wan...