Sunday, March 5, 2023

Day 5: A Fish, a Fisher, and a Pinay Teacher


     In today's slice, I got the chance to catch up with some friends that are still in undergrad. They were asking for advice on a dance that I used to choreograph. To give some background on this story, I used to be the president of the Filipino Student Association at the college I attended. We would always host a showcase near the end of the year that features traditional dances and performances. My best friend and I choreographed a dance called Pasigin. The story that is told in this dance is the fishers are trying to catch the fish. It's a lot of the fish playing around with the fishers and the fishers feeling frustrated throughout the dance. 

    Back to today, my friends were asking for advice on how to choreograph a dance and how to lead dance practices. It definitely felt weird to be the person with experience and giving the advice since as a 1st year teacher, I'm usually the one seeking out for advice. I had to really think back since it had been a while since I choreographed Pasigin. Something I do appreciate about my friends reaching out is that the traditions and legacy I brought to the club continues on. The gif above is a little bit of the dance I choreographed:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 31: The Pinay Teacher's ABCs of Spring Break

    I was inspired by many people to do an ABCs of spring break, especially since this is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. I wan...